How to Attract Golf Tournament Sponsors
Learn How to Attract Sponsors to Your Golf Tournament Fundraiser
You’ve decided to host a fundraising or charity golf tournament to create awareness and raise fundraising dollars for your charitable cause. To offset the costs required to produce your tournament and boost your fundraising success, you will likely want to consider finding golf tournament sponsors.
Corporate and community sponsors fulfill a critical role in any successful golf tournament fundraiser. These corporations and local businesses help increase awareness of an event by promoting it to their employees and customers via social media, which is helpful when it is time to attract the attention of local media and recruit golfers. Most importantly, sponsors create a financial backbone by helping to offset tournament costs which are generally quite high. Below are some useful guidelines on attracting golf tournament sponsors for your tournament.
Utilize Your Network of Supporters
Considering your current connections is a great way to start building your sponsorship prospect list. Who on your leadership team is connected to a small business owner? Who in your team of volunteers or friends works for a larger company or corporation that may designate funds for local community projects? Can they help connect you to the person who deals with corporate social responsibility and sponsorships?
The most important thing to remember about networks is that they constantly grow and change. Most organizations do a great job of assessing their networks when first constructing sponsorship recruitment and prospecting plans. However, as your organization grows and you recruit volunteers and participants, your network will also grow. Schedule a second and third assessment of your network, and actively seek out connections that will aid the success of your golf tournament.
Companies Benefit From Sponsorship
Understanding and articulating how prospective sponsors will benefit from working with your organization is critical. This becomes the foundation for selling sponsorship opportunities. Everyone likes to help out a great cause; however, companies are looking for a win-win relationship when investing in your golf tournament fundraiser. Be sure to explain exactly how sponsoring your tournament will provide value to the local businesses you are prospecting.
Benefits a Golf Tournament Sponsorship Provides to Business & Corporate Sponsors
Some common benefits that golf tournament sponsors receive include the following:
- Inclusion in promotional materials
- Where do you intend to promote your tournament, and how many people will you reach? Golf tournament sponsorships should offer real visibility for the sponsors.
- How will sponsors be mentioned? (i.e., link from your golf tournament website, logo inclusion on tournament flyers, mentions in press releases and social media networks, and more)
- Exposure at the tournament
- For many charity and corporate golf tournaments, real business happens right on the course. Include a foursome with your top-level sponsorship packages.
- How many people are expected to attend the tournament? Let potential sponsors know their involvement will expose them to these new potential customers.
- Will sponsors have a tent or table onsite where they can educate people about their business and generate leads? Businesses are always looking for ways to reach new potential customers, and a relaxed environment like a fundraising golf tournament is attractive.
- If a company sells golf-related products, your event could be a great venue for actual sales or handing out coupons and information.
- Other general benefits
- Increased exposure in the community
- Tax deductions – check with your organization’s tax adviser for details
- Opportunities for team building and employee development
Be Organized in Your Approach to Potential Golf Sponsors
There are several steps to a successful sponsorship program, which should be managed by members of your golf tournament planning committee. Follow these guidelines to determine and help reach fundraising goals.
- What are your fundraising event goals, and how does sponsorship feed into those goals?
- Develop a corporate sponsor packet with a concise cover letter and message.
- Create sponsorship levels that allow businesses to contribute at various levels, ie, $500 to $10,000. (More on best practices below.)
- Determine what your agency will provide in exchange for sponsorship. For example, the use of logos on signs, tee shirts, websites, or in publicity materials.
- Brainstorm a list of prospective sponsors. Delegate each prospect to a committee member and create a concrete timeline for approaching each prospect.
- Make sure to obtain the logos for each sponsor as they sign on. You’ll be thankful that you have them ready when it’s time to post on your website or print golf tournament materials.
- Don’t forget to thank your sponsors! Mention the contributions of each sponsor specifically at the event and send thank you letters. This may bring them back again for annual events.
Examples of Golf Tournament Sponsorship Levels
Here are some common golf tournament sponsorship levels and a sample of the included benefits. These packages can be customized for your organization. Remember, all sponsors should be recognized on your tournament website, flyers, and tournament program.
|DINNER or LUNCH SPONSOR
|HOLE-IN-ONE or OTHER CONTEST SPONSORS
|TEE or HOLE SPONSORS
Be Creative and Provide Opportunities for Fun
When considering how to get golf tournament sponsors to support your event, feel free to think outside the box and find compelling tie-ins for businesses. Here are some fun examples:
- Insurance companies may be able to create special slogans pertaining to health and safety.
- Invite a local furniture store to set up a 9th hole rest stop for your golfers where they can feature some of their best-selling lounge chairs. The possibilities are endless. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box and make the event unforgettable.
- Golf tournament contests can provide extra revenue for your tournament. Make them fun by allowing a sponsor to take part.
- More fun golf tournament ideas.
Golf Tournament Software & Fundraising Resources
Planning a golf tournament fundraiser? GolfRegistrations can help! We offer easy to use, affordable golf tournament registration software to help your organization raise more money online.